The World's first climate change refugees may belong to the 1700 residents of the Carteret islands. Ursula Rakova, a resident of the Cabaret islands, says that the stormy weather has come very unpredictable these past couple of years. "Now we cannot predict it because they come more frequent and stronger," declares Rakova; "Last Christmas the storms destroyed homes and the food gardens were devastated. Now we know the sea will wash over our islands. It is heartbreaking but we have to leave." The 17000 islanders are beginning to transport over to the larger island of Bougainville, where the land is higher which will allow them to grow their food. Over the next couple of years, the Cabaret islanders (Tulunn) will be heading over to the new island, leaving behind the 1000 year history of the Tulunn people. Rakova says, "It is especially hard for the older people. Many of them are refusing to leave. We don't want to force them. None of us want to go. But the saltwater is spoiling our ability to grow food. So there is no choice." Rakova travelled to Manhattan, New York, to claim for her people that they should become the world's first climate-change refugees.
I think that Rakova has a very valid reason for her people to become the world's first climate-change refugees. The island is being flooded so much that the Tulunn people are not able to grow their crops because of the amount of salt water from the ocean. This reminds me of how our world needs to be more environmentally friendly- so things like this won't happen nearly as often. We need to cut back on the things we do to pollute the air and cause global warming. If I was in Ursula Rakova's situation, I would hate to have to move to a different island. Not only would I have to leave the place I know best, but I would also have to adjust to the people and the different setting on the new island. I hope that New York declares them the world's first climate-change refugees because the Tulunn people are going through a lot of change, and not doing this would be a mistake.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment