Peter Sloly has one goal in life- to become Toronto's first police chief of colour. He has many supporters who believe that this will happen. This week, Sloly will assume the position of deputy chief, one of just four deputies below the police chief. With only 21 years of experience, Sloly has rapidly ascended through the ranks- he is a rising star. At 43 years old, Sloly is believed to be the youngest officer in the country to achieve such an accomplishment-"one that is both remarkable and a liability", according to a high-ranking officer who did not want to be named. When asked about the critics, Sloly replied, ""Well, for one, I think I'm only a couple of years younger than the most powerful man in the free world, (U.S. President Barack Obama, who is 48). If you're required to be in a place for a certain amount of time, I guess I don't hit that benchmark. If it's about experiences, and adding value to help build the police service into the best it can be, then I think I hit that benchmark." Sloly has also helped to change the way Toronto police recruits new officers: about one-third of recent recruits are non-white. Peter Sloly has lots of leadership, and city councilor Michael Thompson says, “"If you think of all the qualities you would hope for in a police chief, Peter has them in spades. I really think it's not a matter of if, but when.”
I think that this is quite a remarkable story because Peter Sloly could make history. He could become the first police chief of colour! I believe that Peter Sloly is doing an awesome job- not only is he almost the police chief of Toronto, but he is a good role model for young coloured kids who would like to be involved in the police force. Hopefully Peter can achieve the rank of police chief in the next few years, because it would make a world of difference to the city of Toronto if he was the chief. Peter has accomplished a lot in his short police career, and hopefully it will continue in years to come. My wish is for Sloly to become the police chief in the next few years, so that he can lead the police force and make it more multicultural in years to come.
Monday, September 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment