Friday, January 8, 2010

In winter, some homeless choose between independence, warmth

           More than 21 000 people in Atlanta, Fulton and DeKalb counties were estimated to be homeless sometime last year, according to the Metro Atlanta Tri-Jurisdictional Collaborative, a group that records homelessness in the area. Of these 21 000 projected people, a 42 year old homeless man named Brook counts for one. Brook lives wherever he can, usually in what he calls his "cathodes," places in which he has slept which have provided some refuge from the outdoor elements. Brook does what he can to keep warm during the winter season. He covers up with a donated blanket and rests his head on a bag where he keeps his belongings. Last Tuesday night, although the temperature was extremely cold, Brook slept in one of his usual cathodes. You would think that a man like him would go to a homeless shelter to keep warm, but not Brook. He has different ideas about homeless shelters. He doesn't trust the men who stay at them, and he believes that "it's an environment where you can't keep your eyes closed." Brook mentioned that he has seen too many men stealing from others in shelters, and he feels that he is better off alone. Brook is among the thousands of Atlanta- area homeless choosing where to keep warm during the winter season. Another homeless man named Sherman Vickers, who is 63, also prefers to sleep on his own, but when temperatures get too cold, Vickers gratefully stays at The Shepherd's Inn, which is an emergency men's shelter run by Atlanta Union Mission. Vickers explained that "This time of year, you need to be somewhere out of the cold." His statement seems to be true in Atlanta, as the shelter took in more than 400 people on Tuesday night due to the cold temperatures. Although shelters try to accept many people as possible during cold weather, not every homeless person who'd want to stay at a shelter can. "In 2007, the U.S. Conference of Mayors reported that 12 of 23 U.S. cities surveyed said they had shelters that at least sometimes had to turn people away because of a lack of capacity." Brook is thankful that more shelters like The Shepherd's Inn exist, as he feels that "being here at the mission is a good thing. It's well-staffed, it's comfortable, clean, the food service is good, and they're safe," he said. "It's good being out of the cold."

          It seems to me that Brook has adjusted being homeless pretty well. I know this may sound strange, but he is trying to make the best out of a very tough situation. I admire his courage, because not very many people can summon the will to keep living in situations like his. I am sure that tons of homeless people have given up, but not Brook. He is a positive thinker, and I hope the best for him in the future. As for the shelters, I find it very disturbing how Brook says that people steal from other people in the shelters. I can see why he avoids staying at them as much as possible, but I think it would be nice if the homeless people could learn to respect each other’s property. It is sad how Brook says he must stay awake all night if he does stay at a shelter. After a few cold nights, I am sure that Brook would become extremely exhausted after having to stay awake for forty-eight hours. I guess this respect will never happen because people in situations like these will do almost anything to make a small amount of money. It is sad but true. I hope that the people of the United States do their part to help out their communities by trying to make a difference. The United States definitely needs to build more shelters to help out those who are less fortunate and in need.

1 comment:

Dylan Hussey said...

I agree with your thoughts Craig. I believe it is amazing how courageous Brook is and how determined he is to keep his hope alive, without straying from his morals. It is very interesting to hear about the conditions in today’s homeless shelters from someone who actually experiences them on a daily basis. I find it truly amazing to recognize the truth of the terrible things that go on in these shelters and how people resort to such cruelty and stray so far from conventional morals, just to get a dollar. When a homeless person goes to a shelter he should feel safe and have a feeling of refuge. I now truly understand how hard the lives of these people are and how hard they must fight to live.