Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Police officer killed at Ottawa hospital

          On Tuesday morning, Ottawa lost one of the members of its police force due to a bizarre surprise attack at the Ottawa Civic Hospital. A suspect is in custody for the incident, which is the first one since the slaying of the 1983 Ottawa police officer. The stabbing took place around 4:30 a.m. as the police officer was sitting in his cruiser outside the Civic Campus of the Ottawa Hospital writing up notes on an unrelated case. Ottawa police chief Vern White told the Canadian Press that "It appears our officer was in his vehicle doing notes on a call that was unrelated when the altercation or the incident happened," The police believe this to be a surprise attack and they have not found any connection between the individual and the officer. Paramedics tried their best to revive the officer, but were unsuccessful as the officer died shortly after at around 5:30 a.m. The two paramedics did, however, manage to apprehend the suspect. The Major Crime Unit is investigating and police said the suspect will not be identified until charges are laid. The police chief seemed to be visibly shaken and told media that "It's tough. This city, particularly in relation to police officers, has been very, very safe. We haven't lost an officer since the early '80s. Not that it would be easier. But it certainly is not something we're used to dealing with or managing," Mr. White said that his "condolences go out to the family and friends of this officer." The officer and his family will always remain a part of the Ottawa police service organization.

          This is a very tragic event. I don't understand why the police officer was targeted. I mean, he was an innocent man doing his job. No connections have been found between the suspect and the officer, which is puzzling. I find it to be very bizarre how the suspect snuck to the officer’s car at 4:30 in the morning and killed him in a surprise attack. I would love to hear the reason of the slaying from the suspect. The actions of the suspect have affected the officer, as well as his family, friends, the Ottawa police service organization, and the citizens of Ottawa. If all that was said is true, then I believe that the suspect should be put in jail for a long period of time. Killings like this can only lead to fighting and war, which is the opposite of what we as citizens want our world to be today- peaceful. This was a very tragic event, and I give my gratitude to the police officer and the family of the police officer. I feel very sorry for them, and I hope that incidents like these can be limited in the future.

No comments: